The Marion County Museum began in 1981 in the old Marion Academy. The building was erected in 1886 and costed $5,000 to purchase the surrounding land and complete construction. The school began nearly fifty years prior to the opening of the building. The first headmaster in this building was Major James B. White. Through its 90 year history, it served all grade levels and both as a private and public school.
Since its opening, the Marion County Museum has served as a resource for schools, residents, and travelers. In 1990, the front porches were readded in order to reflect the original design and be listed on the National Register of Historic Places It has recently undergone complete, interior renovations with an emphasis on updating and creating new exhibits. The Marion County Museum strives to put the pieces of the county’s history together.
Featured exhibits are Francis Marion, Reverend Senator Clementa Pinckney, Communities of Marion County, Schooling Through the Ages, Home Life, and much more!
Marion County was created in 1785 and was originally known as Liberty County. However, four years later it was renamed Marion County, in honor of Brigadier General Francis Marion the famous "Swamp Fox" and a hero of the American Revolutionary War. In 1888, a part of the west side of the county was separated to form Florence County and in 1910 the upper part of the county was separated to form Dillon County.